Gol-Keri (Sweet'n Sour Mango Pickle)
4 ½ cups medium raw mangoes, peeled, pitted and diced to ½”
2 tablespoon mithu (salt)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
1 cup sambhaar
¼ cup mithu (salt)
¼ cup rai (mustard seeds), crushed
1 tablespoon tel (oil), warmed up
1 ¾ cup Karo dark corn syrup
1. Mix the salt & turmeric into the mangoes and set aside for ½ hour.
2. Squeeze the mangoes in palm of your hand and remove excess juice.
3. Spread out on paper towels in a sunny place until dry.
4. Mix the saambhaar, salt, mustard seeds, oil and corn syrup.
5. Add the soaked, dried mangoes.
6. Mix well, adjusting sweetness with additional corn syrup.
Note: Originally, we’ve used gol (jaggery) instead of corn syrup. Since it is usually chunky, you need to wait 2 weeks for it to dissolve before adjusting the taste (or even consuming).
Source: Kokila 1995