Marchaa-no Sambhaaro (Jalapeno's pickled in mustard seed & lemon juice)
2 tablespoon rai (mustard seeds), ground
1/8 teaspoon hing (asafetida)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
1 tablespoon mithu (salt)
1 tablespoon tel (oil)
15-20 jalapeno peppers, slit lengthwise
3 gaajer (carrot), peeled, and julienned
2 cups limbu (lemon juice)
1. Mix the mustard seeds, asafetida, turmeric, salt and oil.
2. Stuff the peppers with the above mix.
3. Add the lemon juice to a large jar.
4. Add peppers and carrots to the jar.
5. Cover and refrigerate.
6. They will be ready to eat in a few days, and can be left refrigerated for over a year.
Source: Kokila, around September 1991