Kaandaa Batekaa-ni Khichdi 2 (Pratima’s Onion & Potato, Tuvare Daal & Rice Khichdi)
½ cup tuvare daal
1 cup rice
3 cups water
4 tablespoon tel (oil)
4 cloves lasan (garlic), chopped
2 kaandaa (onions), sliced
5 taj (cloves)
1 stick laving (cinnamon)
¼ teaspoon hing (asafetida)
1 teaspoon aadu marchaa (minced ginger root & green chili)
1 batekaa (potatoes), diced ¾”
1 gaajer (carrot), diced ¾”
½ cup green beans
1 ½ teaspoon mithu (salt)
1 tametu (tomato), diced ½”
3 cups pani (water)
1. Rinse the tuvare daal & rice in warm water and drain. Cook them together in the water, either in an open pot or pressure cooker.
2. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, adding garlic, onions, cinnamon stick, cloves, and asafotida. Brown the garlic and onions.
3. Add the ginger, green chilies & vegetables (potatoes, carrots, green beans).
4. Add the salt & tomatoes.
5. Add the cooked tuvare daal & rice, and measured water. In a pressure cooker, put the mix in an uncovered container. Add weight to the pressure cooker.
6. Cook until the cooker begins to whistle. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat. Wait 10 minutes before opening the pressure cooker.
Source: Pratima 5/1992