Mewa Pulao (Rice studded with
2 teaspoon sugar
10 cardamom pods, split
2 bay leaves
1 ½” cinnamon stick
10 black peppercorns
2 ½ cups basmati rice, washed & drained
tablespoon slivered almonds
tablespoon pistachio nuts, coarsely
tablespoon unsalted cashew nuts
4 cups hot water
1 teaspoon saffron strands
tablespoon fresh coriander leaves,
2 teaspoon glace cherries, chopped
- Heat a heavy bottomed pot. Drop in the
sugar and allow it to caramelize to a rich brown
- Spoon in the oil and blend.
- When the oil is hot, add the cardamom,
cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon &
peppercorns and stir until they change color.
- Then add the rice and mix well. Stir in
the raisins, almonds, pistachio nuts & cashew nuts and continue
stirring until they turn golden.
- Pour in the water and sprinkle in the
saffron & salt. Give it a last stir, cover and cook over low heat
until the rice is fluffy and dry.
- Mix gently with a slotted spoon to avoid
breaking the rice grains.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves
& glace cherries. This rice goes very well with a meat or chicken
curry and a fresh salad.
Indian Spice Kitchen by Monisha Bharadwaj
Time 10 minutes
Time 30 minutes