Pulaao (Aromatic rice)
1 cup chokhaa (rice), Basmati preferred
1 ½ cup pani (water)
½ teaspoon mithu (salt)
2 taj (cloves)
1 stick laving (cinnamon)
4 strands kesar (saffron), optional
½ teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
3 tablespoon tel (oil)
1 medium kaando (onion), thinly sliced
¼ cup kaju (cashew nuts), broken up
½ teaspoon garam masaalaa
½ cup green peas, optional
½ teaspoon mithu (salt), optional
1. Add rice, water, salt, cloves, cinnamon, saffron and butter to a pressure cooker. Seal & add weight. Cook over medium heat. Remove from heat at the first whistle. Open after 10 minutes, when the pressure is released.
3. If cooking in an open pot, use 1/2 cup more water and cook for about 8 minutes.
4. Transfer rice to a serving pot.
5. Saute onions in oil until light brown. Add cashew nuts and garam masaalaa. Continue to saute until the nuts are light brown. Add peas and salt, if desired.
6. Spoon the onion and nut mixture over the rice in the serving dish. Serve hot.