Saadi Khichdi (Plain Khichdi)
½ cup split mung beans, with skin (green) or
split mung beans, without skin (yellow)
1 cup carolina rice (not Baasmati)
1 ½ teaspoon mithu (salt)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
4 cups pani (water)
1. Rinse mung beans and rice in warm water.
2. Add the salt, turmeric, and measured water.
3. In a pressure cooker, put the mix in an uncovered container, adding some water outside. Add weight to the pressure cooker. Cook until the cooker begins to whistle.
4. Reduce the heat to low.
5. Cook for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat.
6. Wait 10 minutes before opening the pressure cooker.
7. Serve hot. You may add about a tablespoon of ghee (clarified butter) and whip it into the khichdi before serving.
Variations: Use tuvare daal instead of mung daal.
Use some of the following optional items for a different flavor
3 whole taj (cloves)
1 stick laving (cinnamon)
10 mari (peppercorn)