2 cups rotli-no lot (chapatti flour)
½ cup chickpea flour
½ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
1 ½ teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
3 teaspoon mithu (salt)
2 teaspoon dhaanaa jiru
¼ teaspoon hing (asafetida)
2 teaspoon saaker (sugar)
2 cups methi (fenugreek leaves), trimmed & chopped
4 cloves lasan (garlic), minced
½ cup dahi (plain yogurt) or
pani (water) water
4 tablespoon tel (oil)
1. Mix the whole wheat flour, chickpea flour & all-purpose flour.
2. Add in the salt, cayenne pepper, dhaanaa jiru, turmeric, asafetida & sugar.
3. Add fenugreek & garlic
4. Add enough yogurt (or buttermilk or water) to till it holds together.
5. Bind it all together with a little oil.
6. Break off into 1" balls and roll out to 6-8” .
7. In a heavy skillet at medium heat, pan fry each one, brushing additional oil on each side.
Note: some leftover rice or shredded zucchini can be added to the dough for a softer thelpaa
Note: If the fenugreek is dried, soak in warm water for ½ hour, drain and chop before adding to the dough. The water used for soaking can be used in the dough.
Note: If chapatti flour isn’t available, you can substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour.