Adad ni Daal (Urad Daal)
1 cup adad (urad) daal, split
2 cups pani (water)
4 tablespoon tel (oil)
1 teaspoon rai (mustard seeds)
1 teaspoon jiru (cumin seeds)
¼ teaspoon hing (asafetida)
1 suku marchu (whole, dried pepper)
3 cloves lasan (garlic), sliced
2 cups water
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
½ teaspoon dhaanaa jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
½ teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon mithu (salt)
½ teaspoon aadu (ginger), grated
½ teaspoon lilu marchu (green chili), chopped
1 cup dahi (plain yogurt)
some kothmari (cilantro) , chopped
1. Pick & wash the urad daal in warm water. Cook in pressure cooker with 2 cups of water. When the cooker whistles, reduce heat to low. After 5 minutes, remove from heat. After another 10 minutes, remove from cooker.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, adding mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida, whole dried pepper & garlic. Wait for the seeds to start popping.
3. Add the urad daal with an additional 2 cups of water.
4. Add the turmeric, coriander-cumin powder, cayenne pepper, salt, ginger, green chilies & yogurt. Add water to adjust consistency.
5. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with rice and yogurt.
Source: Kokila 2/1991