Cholaa (Black-eyed peas)
1 cup cholaa (black-eyed peas), dried
2 tablespoon tel (oil)
1/8 teaspoon hing (asafetida)
1 suku marchu (whole, dried pepper)
3 medium kaandaa (onions), chopped
½ teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon mithu (salt)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
1 teaspoon dhaanaa jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
some aadu marchaa (minced ginger root & green chili), (optional)
3 cloves lasan (garlic), chopped
1 tablespoon limbu (lemon juice) or chopped tomato
some kothmari (cilantro), chopped, (optional)
some saaker (sugar), (optional)
1. Soak the black-eyed peas overnight in hot water.
2. Rinse and add fresh water. Cook the beans in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes on low after the whistle.
3. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, adding asafetida & whole dried pepper. When things get excited, add the onions and stir fry for a bit.
4. Gradually, add the cayenne pepper, salt, turmeric, coriander-cumin powder, minced ginger root & green chilies, garlic. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add the beans along with the lemon juice or chopped tomato. Simmer for 20 minutes, allowing it all to thicken.
6. Remove from heat, stirring in the sugar & chopped coriander.
7. Serve with hot cooked rice and yogurt.