2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup ghee (clarified butter)
1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
1 cup gol (jaggery or brown sugar)
1 teaspoon elchi (cardamom seeds), slightly crushed
½ teaspoon sounth (powdered ginger), optional
some slivered almonds
1. Over low heat, add the flour and clarified butter to a saucepan.
2. Stir for about ½ hour.
3. In another pan, melt the jaggery with 1 tablespoon of clarified butter.
4. Mix the contents of the 2 pans, adding the cardamom and ginger.
5. Remove from heat and spread in a pre-greased pan.
6. Cut into diamond shapes, optionally spreading the almonds on top
7. Remove when cool and store in an airtight container for a few days.
8. Serve with tea.
Note: For harder gol paapdi, cook a little longer after adding the jaggery.
Source: Kokila 1978, tested July 2001