Tul Saankdi (Sesame Crisp)
1 C tul (sesame seeds)
1 tsp ghee(clarified butter)
¼ C gol (jaggery)
1. Roast the sesame seeds and remove from pan.
2. Melt the ghee, and add gol.
3. Melt the gol and, in a bit, add the sesame seeds.
4. Transfer to a thaali (flat pan), cut to bite-sized diamond-shaped pieces and let cool before breaking up
5. Store in an airtight container for several weeks.
· Replace sesame seeds with shing-daana (shelled raw peanuts), or daaliya (split roasted chickpeas) to make Shing Saankdi or Daaliya Saankdi
· When melting the gol, add the seeds right-away for a softer, less brittle Saankdi
· For Tul Laadu, instead of transferring the blend to a thaali, let cool just enough to handle, then roll into ¾” balls
· For Tul Vut, coarsely grind the roasted seeds with grated gol, then roll into balls
Source: Kokila Jan 19 2002