Batekaa Vataanaa (Potatoes & Peas)
2 tablespoon tel (oil)
¼ teaspoon rai (mustard seeds)
1/8 teaspoon hing (asafetida)
1 suku marchu (whole, dried pepper)
¼ teaspoon jiru (cumin seeds)
5 cups potatoes, diced to 1" cubes
1 teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon mithu (salt)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
2 cups pani (water)
10 oz frozen peas, thawed
1 teaspoon dhaanaa jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
1 tablespoon limbu (lemon juice)
1 teaspoon saaker (sugar)
1 medium tametu (tomato), chopped
some kothmari (cilantro), chopped
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan on high heat, adding mustard seeds, asafotida and red pepper. When the seeds start popping, add cumin seeds and wait 10 seconds.
2. Add the potatoes, cayenne pepper, salt & turmeric. Mix well. Add the water, cover the pan, turn heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the frozen green peas. Cook, covered, for another 5 minutes.
4. Add the coriander-cumin powder, cook for 5 minutes, and turn off the heat.
5. Add the lemon juice, sugar and tomato. Mix well. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with rotli or pita bread.