Bhaaji Ringanaa (Spinach & Eggplant)
4 tablespoon tel (oil)
4 cloves lasan (garlic), sliced thin
1 teaspoon jiru (cumin seeds)
¼ teaspoon hing (asafetida)
1 whole suku marchu (whole, dried pepper)
8 cups ringanu (eggplant), diced 3/4"
1 cup pani (water)
1 teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon mithu (salt)
1 teaspoon dhaanaa-jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
10 oz bhaaji (spinach), fresh or frozen, stems cut off
1 large tametu (tomato), diced 1/2"
2 teaspoon saaker (sugar)
1. Heat oil with garlic, cumin seeds, asafetida and dried pepper at high heat.
2. When the seeds start popping, add eggplant, water, cayenne pepper, salt, cumin‑coriander powder and turmeric.
3. Turn the heat to low. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
4. Add spinach, mix well and cook for 10 more minutes.
5. Add tomato. Cook 5 minutes more. Add sugar, turn off heat.
Variation: You can replace spinach with any green leafy vegetable, such as fresh fenugreek, or possibly kale.