Chanaa Masaalaa (Tangy Chickpeas)
1 ½ cup chanaa (dried chickpeas)
1 teaspoon chaat masaalaa
1 teaspoon cumin powder, roasted
¼ teaspoon mithu (salt)
½ teaspoon kaalaa namak (black salt)
½ teaspoon aamchur (mango powder)
1 ½ teaspoon aamli (tamarind) concentrate
2 lilu marchu (green chili), seeded and thinly sliced
1 sprig kothmari (cilantro)
1. Wash chickpeas and soak for 8 hours or overnight with enough water to cover by 2 inches.
2. Bring to a boil in the soaking water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 1 ½ hours or until tender.
3. In a non‑stick saucepan, add chick peas, chat masaalaa, cumin powder, salt and black salt, mango powder and 1/4 cup water. Boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Add tamarind and cook uncovered for 3‑5 minutes, stirring.
5. Garnish with green chilies and cilantro.
Source: Sopchak 10/1995