Dum-Aalu (New Potatoes in Tomato gravy)
These potatoes are steamed then fried. Serve with naan, yogurt and cucumber-tomato-onion salad.
20 small potatoes or 6 large potatoes
oil for frying
1 large kaando (onion),chopped
2 lilu-marchu (green chili), chopped
8 cloves lasan (garlic), peeled
1 teaspoon aadu (ginger), fresh
¼ cup coconut, shredded
10 tablespoon tel (oil)
1 teaspoon garam masaalaa
½ teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
1 teaspoon dhaanaa-jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
1 ½ teaspoon mithu (salt)
8 oz tomato paste
½ cup dahi (plain yogurt)
some kothmari (cilantro), washed, trimmed & chopped
1. Boil the potatoes until a fork can prick them with no pressure. Peel the potatoes. If large, dice into 1" cubes.
2. Prick the potatoes with a toothpick, then deep fry in oil till golden brown. Let them drain onto paper towels.
3. Blend onions, green chili, garlic, ginger and coconut.
4. Heat 10 tablespoon oil. Sauté the blended mix over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add garam masaalaa, cayenne pepper, turmeric, coriander-cumin, salt, tomato paste and yogurt. Saute for another 5 minutes.
5. Add potatoes, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly over low heat. Add water to adjust gravy consistency.
6. Transfer to serving dish and garnish with coriander.