Flaaver Batekaa (Cauliflower & Potatoes)
4 tablespoon tel (oil)
¼ teaspoon rai (mustard seeds)
¼ teaspoon jiru (cumin seeds)
¼ teaspoon hing (asafetida)
1 suku marchu (whole, dried pepper)
some garam masaalaa
some aadu marchaa (minced ginger root & green chili)
1 head flaaver (cauliflower)
4 medium batekaa (potatoes)
½ teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon mithu (salt)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
1 teaspoon dhaanaa-jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
½ cup pani (water)
1 teaspoon saaker (sugar)
1 tablespoon limbu (lemon juice) or ½ tametu (tomato), chopped
some kothmari (cilantro)
1. Trim & break off the flowerets. Discard the leaves and tough stems.
2. Peel and chop the potatoes to 1/2" cubes.
3. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, adding the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida and whole pepper. Wait for the seeds to start popping.
4. Add the garam masaalaa & minced ginger & green chilies.
5. Add the potatoes, then the cauliflower.
6. Add the cayenne pepper, salt, turmeric, coriander-cumin powder & water.
7. Lower heat and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
8. Add the sugar, lemon juice & cilantro. Mix well.
9. Remove from heat.
Variation: Reduce the potatoes & instead add chopped carrots. Takes just as long to cook and adds some color to the dish.
Source: Meenal 7/2001