Kaandaa Sev (Onions & Noodles)
4-5 medium kaandaa (onions)
4 tablespoon tel (oil)
¼ teaspoon hing (asafetida)
1 suku marchu (whole, dried pepper)
1 teaspoon mithu (salt)
1 teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
2 cups pani (water)
2-3 tametaa (tomatoes), chopped or 3-4 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon dhaanaa-jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
2 cups sev
1. Peel the onions and cut into lengthwise strips
2. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add asafetida and whole dried pepper. Wait for the pepper to start popping.
3. Add the onions, then, gradually, the salt, cayenne pepper & turmeric. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the water. Cook until the onions are wilted.
5. Add the tomatoes/ketchup and coriander-cumin powder. Cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the sev. Remove from heat.
Serve with either rotli or rice. A good use of stale sev.
Source: Kokila 1978