Kaatchaa Tametaa─Batekaa (Green tomatoes & potatoes)
2 tablespoon tel (oil)
½ teaspoon rai (mustard seeds)
1/8 teaspoon hing (asafetida)
1 suku marchu (whole, dried pepper)
½ teaspoon jiru (cumin seeds)
3 medium batekaa (potatoes), diced 3/4"
1 cup pani (water)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
½ teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon dhaanaa-jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
½ teaspoon mithu (salt)
3 large green tomatoes, diced 1"
2 teaspoon saaker (sugar)
1. Heat oil & add mustard seeds, asafetida & whole dried pepper.
2. When the seeds start popping, add the cumin seeds followed by the potatoes. Mix well and add water after a minute.
3. Add turmeric, cayenne pepper, coriander-cumin & salt. Lower the heat and cook till potatoes are done (10‑15 minutes).
4. Add green tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add sugar, mixing well and remove from heat.