Kobi Batekaa (Cabbage & Potatoes)
1 head kobi (cabbage), about 1-1/4 lb
4 medium batekaa (potatoes), about 1/2 pound
4 tablespoon tel (oil)
¼ teaspoon rai (mustard seeds)
¼ teaspoon hing (asafetida)
1 suku marchu (whole, dried pepper)
¼ teaspoon jiru (cumin seeds)
1 teaspoon mithu (salt)
½ cup pani (water)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
1 teaspoon dhaanaa-jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
½ teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon saaker (sugar)
1 tablespoon limbu (lemon juice) or ½ tametu (tomato), chopped
1. Finely slice the cabbage.
2. Peel and chop the potatoes to 1/2" cubes.
3. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, adding the mustard seeds, asafetida and whole pepper. Wait for the seeds to start popping.
4. Add cumin seeds, wait 10 seconds.
5. Add the potatoes, then the cabbage.
6. Add the salt, water, turmeric, coriander-cumin powder, cayenne pepper, sugar and lemon juice.
7. Cook, covered, on medium heat, for 5 minutes. Stir once.
8. Cook until the potatoes are done (about 15 minutes).