Lot-waalu Shaak (Stuffed vegetables)
Vegetables stuffed & cooked in a chick-pea flour mix. Serve with naan, yogurt, and a cucumber-tomato-onion salad. This is a versatile dish, wherein a variety of vegetables can be combined.
Any combination of these vegetables:
3 bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
2 cups radishes, quartered
2 cups okra, slit
5 small eggplants, slit
5 small potatoes, quartered
4 small onions, quartered
½ cup chana no lot (chickpea flour)
½ teaspoon lilu-marchu (green chili), minced or ½ teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon mithu (salt)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
1 teaspoon dhaanaa-jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
1 teaspoon saaker (sugar)
4 tablespoon tel (oil)
1 teaspoon limbu (lemon juice) or ¼ teaspoon aamchur (mango powder)
The vaghaar (cooking):
5 tablespoon tel (oil)
½ teaspoon rai (mustard seeds)
½ teaspoon jiru (cumin seeds)
1/8 teaspoon hing (asafetida)
some garam masaalaa (optional)
some sesame seeds (optional)
some grated coconut (optional)
1. Mix the chickpea flour, green chili, coriander-cumin, turmeric, salt, sugar, 4 tablespoon of oil and lemon juice.
2. If the vegetables chosen are stuff-able (such as eggplant, okra, onions or potatoes) stuff some of the mix into the slits cut.
3. Heat the 5 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan, adding mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and asafetida. Wait for the seeds to start popping.
4. Add the vegetables. Sprinkle the flour-and-spice-mix over the vegetables. Now is also the time to add the optional spices.
5. Cover and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Do not mix.
6. Mix and let cook for 5 minutes.