Ringanaa Vataanaa (Eggplant & Peas)
4 tablespoon tel (oil)
1 teaspoon rai (mustard seeds)
1 teaspoon jiru (cumin seeds)
¼ teaspoon hing (asafetida)
1 suku marchu (whole, dried pepper)
1 large eggplant, cut to 1” cubes
10 oz frozen peas
½ teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon mithu (salt)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
1 teaspoon dhaanaa jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
¼ cup pani (water)
1 tablespoon limbu (lemon juice)
1 teaspoon saaker (sugar)
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, adding mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafotida and dried red pepper. Wait for the seeds to start popping.
2. Add the eggplant and green peas.
3. Add the cayenne pepper, salt, turmeric, coriander-cumin powder and water.
4. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until eggplant is cooked thru.
5. Turn off heat and add lemon juice and sugar. Stir well.
6. Serve with rotli & yogurt.