Sukaa Batekaa (Potatoes with a dry spice)
5 medium potatoes
4 tablespoon tel (oil)
¼ teaspoon rai (mustard seeds)
¼ teaspoon jiru (cumin seeds)
¼ teaspoon hing (asafetida)
1 suku marchu (whole, dried pepper)
1 teaspoon marchu (cayenne pepper)
1 teaspoon mithu (salt)
¼ teaspoon hardar (turmeric)
1 teaspoon dhaanaa jiru (powdered coriander & cumin seeds)
2 tablespoon limbu (lemon juice)
1 teaspoon saaker (sugar)
1 tametu (tomato), chopped
some kothmari (cilantro), chopped (optional)
1. Boil the potatoes. Peel and cut into 1" cubes.
3. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida, and whole dried pepper. Wait for the seeds to start popping.
6. Add the potatoes, then the cayenne pepper, salt, turmeric, coriander-cumin powder, lemon juice and sugar.
7. Cook for 5 minutes and garnish with tomatoes and coriander.
8. Serve with puri, yogurt, and pickles.
Source: Kokila 1978